In The Cypher was co-conceived in the winter of 2006 by Gamal Palmer and Sarita Covington. The show was then performed for the first time under the direction of Patricia McGregor in 2007 at the Yale Cabaret, the student run theater for Yale School of Drama MFA candidates. Two years later, In The Cypher would make its NYC premiere. Since then In The Cypher has performed in several venues around the city including the Lower East Side’s FAB Festival, the historic Nuyorican Poet’s Café, The Drilling Company and WOW Café Theater.
SUMMARY OF 2011 PERFORMANCES & ACTIVITIES
- In The Cypher Monthly Monday Series – with our first performance at the Drilling Company Theater in January, we continued performing all year long, changing casting, crews, and therefore poems and conversations. Our last Monthly Monday was November 7th at the WOW Café Theater, for a completely packed and standing room only audience.
- Lower Manhattan Cultural Council’s Manhattan Community Arts Fund -Recipients grant to support our work with In The Cypher.
- Cyphering Education – A new program bringing anti-racist educational workshops to schools, arts programs and institutions. Our Cyphering Education facilitators share methods of creating stories from personal experiences of skin color with high school aged participants.
- Cyphering Education Workshop in Washington Heights - Working with The People’s Theater Project, led a workshop for the Voices/Voces teen program a bilingual theater/writing program created in partnership with Seven Stories Institute, the YM/YWCA and Washington Heights Free radio, which culminated in 3 public performances, a printed anthology and an audio recording of the participants work.
- Cyphering Education Workshop at Yale (the birthplace of our conceptual beginnings), leading a workshop in conjunction with Yale’s Drama and Divinity’s Master Students cross disciplinary course called The Quest for Social Justice Through Music, Theater & Liberation Theology.
- Portable Set -has been built which was on our wish list last year and will be used when touring In The Cypher and Cyphering Education
- Network Broadening Initiative- where we successfully grew our network of ethnically diverse performers and technicians, as well as our mailing list and outreach, enlarging our audience by 200%.